New York City -- The P.R.O.C.E.S.S. - THE P.R.O.C.E.S.S. (Pupil Realizing [their] Optimal Capacity [through] Excellence Success [and] Service), is a Rites of Passage program which seeks to primarily “PREVENT and REDUCE” youth violence among at risk boys between the ages of 7-18 is now at work year-round to help empower young boys to become global leaders.
What is the mission and the vision?
The Mission: To prevent and reduce youth violence by replacing victimization and perpetration of youth violence with constructive tools and life skills to forge, and to create a youth culture of positive possibilities and anti-violence. The Vision: To empower boys to become creative and innovative lifelong learners and global thinkers, who embody respect, high standards and high expectations for themselves and for their community.
Why is The P.R.O.C.E.S.S. called a “rites of passage” program?
How does the program prepare boys for their future?
- Boys are taught the knowledge needed to become vital members of society.
- They are also called upon to pass interactive, innovative tests that are designed to help them to navigate male adolescence.
- Our boys then use these meaningful and appropriate experiences gained to explore areas of passion, interests, skills, and talents.
What exactly does The P.R.O.C.E.S.S. offer?
What are the types of delivery of the program?
Our library workshops provided our boys with activities which they can make literal reference to. These workshops are a vital educational component for participants:
- To familiarize themselves with literature.
- To access other resources within their communities via the use of library.
Type 2. School Session Workshops
These workshops take place within the school setting,
- Where boys who have been identified as being at risk in the area of academic area, attendance, graduation, behavior are scheduled to take these workshops as an elective course.
Type 3. After School Workshops
Latchkey boys, or participants who volunteer by choice may attend these workshops which provide the following:
- A safe haven after school.
- Opportunities for students to interact with adults on a one to one basis.
- Innovative exciting physical fitness activities.
- Health and nutrition consciousness seminars (fitness gurus and chefs offer time and expertise on a weekly basis to prepare 1 minute nutritious meals and provide appropriate physical fitness activities).
Type 4. Weekends Group Sessions
Saturday morning enrichment, these workshops are highly effective and are a great opportunity for boys to:
- Summarize their week, make plans for next steps.
- Work in groups using innovative strategies to solve problems.
- Have discussions, create their own vision and mission.
- Also included are etiquette workshops where young men are taught fine dining skills along with other social skills.
Type 5. Global Perspective
We offer boys an opportunity to become global ambassadors. Our overarching theme is “ YOUTH VIOLENCE CAN BE PREVENTED”. In preparation to become global ambassadors,
- First boys will attend 3 separate field trips within their community. One to a local area where goods are produced, the other science based trip of their choosing, and the third field trip of the mentor’s choosing.
- Boys will then use science, math, technology, music etc. to create virtual trips and report on their experience.
- As they extend their vision to reach others beyond their communities, each year we plan 2 mission trip one nationally and the other internationally. During their travels, boys visit schools, shelters, perform charity work and yes! They engage in public speaking engagements to increase awareness that youth violence can be prevented and to make lifelong global connections.
What are the overall objectives?
By the end of this program, students should be able to:
- To reduce the incidence and prevalence of violence among boys
- Identify a problem within their immediate community and/or global community and collaborate together to create an innovative way to solve this problem.
- Increase the graduation rate
- Improve grades
- Become proficient public speakers
- Travel throughout their communities and globally as program ambassadors to perform charity work (i.e., principles of giving back).
Upon completion of each of our 12 week sessions, having passed the necessary character building workshops challenges, our boys are now prepared and are ready to be reincorporated into their communities in a positive way. In the presence of mentors, community members, family, friends, sponsors and various well-wishers, our boys will now be recognized and honored for both their strengths and weaknesses in a special pinning ceremony. This one of a kind ceremony is dedicated to confer their new status as ambassadors of violence prevention. As our boys are pinned for their excellence and for having gone through THE P.R.O.C.E.S.S., they are now expected to “pass on” their knowledge to the incoming group of boys. They are now program alumni and program mentors and ambassadors of violence prevention.
The P.R.O.C.E.SS offers Empowerment Journey (EJW)
The following are the workshop topics which are implemented throughout the program as discussions, activities, and events:
- Promoting Respect, Innovation, and Distinction through Education
- Maintaining high standards of academic achievement in STEM(Science, Technology, Engineering and Math education)
- Global Awareness/Geography
- Personal Development/Morals and Values “I AM”
- Self-Assessment/Mission statement
- Conflict resolution/Coping Strategies
- Decision Making/Safety
- Health/Wellness and Fitness
- Financial Literacy/Entrepreneurship
- College and Career Readiness
- Dress for Success
- Etiquette/Social Graces
- Art and Culture
- Public Speaking Communication/Creative Expression
- Relationships/Emotional Integrity
- Community Participation
- Parents and Student workshops
- To learn more about his background visit: Lamar Morgan - LinkedIn profile.
- Learn more about SBM: Synergistic Business Marketing - LinkedIn company profile.
- Lamar Morgan’s Linkedin Group: "The Better Together Approach" at Linkedin.
- Lamar Morgan’s Facebook Group: "The Better Together Approach" at Facebook.